From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 12:44:00 PDT
Rich Boehme asks about U.S.-Canadian battles among #1s.  Well, neither team
was ranked #1 at the time, but last January the defending national champion
Alberta Golden Bears travelled to Ann Arbor for a two game series with the
University of Michigan (1992 semifinalists).  Michigan caught Alberta off
guard in game one, winning 7-1.  Game two was scheduled to be an exhibition,
but was later changed to a non-conference encounter (see below).  Chris
Gordon was in nets for the Wolverines (the ONLY game that Steve Shields did
not start last season) and, for the most part, both teams used a fairly
regular lineup.  It wasn't your typical clear the bench and rest the stars
type of exhibition.  It resulted in one of the more entertaining games I can
remember, ending in a 2-2 tie.  Although I wouldn't figure them for a run at
the NC$$ title, I think a team such as the Univ of Alberta could get a home
ice position in any of the four U.S. conferences.  Incidentally, both UA and
UM returned to their respective semifinals in 1993.

Regarding the change from exhibition status, my understanding is as follows:
  - The NC$$ game limit is 34 plus games played in Alaska and an optional
one game played in the U.S. versus a foreign opponent.
  - Last season, Michigan had a 33 game schedule plus the Alberta series.
 It seemed logical that one game would count as their non-conference foreign
opponent (game 1) and the other game would be an exhibition (game 2).
  - It was later decided that the NC$$ limit is one foreign opponent game
(played in the U.S.) OVER AND ABOVE the 34 game limit.  Since Michigan's
schedule included only 33 other games, the two Alberta games could count as
game #34 and the foreign opponent game.  Hence, the results and statistics
from both games are included in the official record.  Whew.

  John H
  U Mich