From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 09:14:34 EDT
Just talked to Mark Kunstmann, BGSU hockey SID and
one-third of the team that does the UPSIDA stats (and
the guy sitting on my right at the hockey-l banquet
in Milwaukee).

Rick Berube of Army had 11 goals in 10 "NCAA" games.
Seven of the 10 games were against "D1" opponents. Stats
against Division II/III opponents do indeed count.

Others have asked them why Berube was included when
Army played so few games. Their response is that they
did not make any qualifications for games played at the
beginning of the year, so they were not going to add a
clause just to filter out Berube now. Next year, they
will probably add a rule that you have to play a certain
number of games to qualify.

Personally, I LIKE seeing an Army player in the listings.
It is good for Army. Last year, that skinny guy from
Air Force led the league in shorthanded goals for a while.
Sure, USAF plays more Division III teams than any other school,
but so what. It is good for college hockey when the "little
guys" get some exposure.

Keith
PS I think only 1/3 of "UPSIDA" is actually based in the UP
any more. Go figure.