Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1992 14:24:42 EST
Most Exciting Maine players I've seen in my 7 years at
UMaine...

1. Jean Ives Roy: this guy "invented the game" offensively
(to steal a line from Ken Dryden about Guy LaFleur in "The Game")...
whenever he was on the ice I looked for something new...
a side-step here, a through-the-defensemen's-legs pass there, a
soft touch goal here, etc...  he nearly single-handedly beat NMU
in the NCAAs a few years ago...

2. Scott Pellerin: this guy epitomized clean physical play (if
such an animal exists)...  he more than anyone on the Maine squad
could captivate a crowd with his thunderous checks (with apologies
to the hyper-skating of Steve Tepper)...

In Portland last year against Notre Dame, he grabbed the puck at the blue
line, skated back across the red line to HIS OWN blue line, started his rush,
side-stepped two or three Notre Dame defenders, BULLED his way
across the goal mouth in a patented Pellerin move, and then dished it
off to someone else for the goal... (bahh to goals
counting more than assists)...

3. David Capuano: especially in his junior year, Capuano did Roy-like
things out on the ice... I recall the time he scored a short-handed
goal while penalty-killing in a 5-on-3 situation... I think he had 6
short-handed goals that year... It got so that we would look forward
to a Capuano penalty killing shift...

4. Paul Kariya: what I've seen of him I'm still processing, BUT I've
never before seen a stick-handler like that at UMaine...

5. Mike McHugh: I don't know about talent, but this guy was the reason
why I'm a Maine hockey fan... one of the best in front of the net Maine
has ever had...