From:
Miller-Mackinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:16:42 -0400
Eric J. Burton wrote:

> Remember Power Corupts and the NCAA is
> just bowing to the pressure of a small
> minority of people. I think FSU can win
> a case against the NCAA in the Courts and
> I cheer them on.

Respectfully disagree with Eric here.  The NC$$ remains a non-profit,
membership organization.  The individual school must prove that the NC$$
prohibits its opportunity to play sport anywhere else or form another
league-- acting like a monopoly.  The NC$$ will always argue as a .org that
it remains made up of its member institutions and those institutions, not
the NC$$ hierarchy make decisions.

Courts generally give organizations heavy leeway unless some fundamental
right gets trampled.  In this case, the court would weigh free speech vs.
the rights of an association to assemble and make rules.  Given the NC$$ can
argue that FSU, UND and others can retain their rights to name their
mascots, yet relinquish it during NC$$ championships should probably seem a
reasonable alternative to a Judge weighing both rights-- as much as I don't
like it.

On a slightly lighter note, will this open the door on Title IX grounds that
Oregon State and Bemidji State will now need to change their nicknames
because some might percieve them as "offensive and hostile?"

I also wonder if someone tipped off the NC$$ selection committee on this
ruling why the Ralph got shut out of Western Regionals.