From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:48:28 -0800
I think Deron's got it right, that the reason for the double standard is that the Bowl games are
sanctioned, but not controlled, by the NCAA.  The Bowl games are post-season competitions that are
NOT league or NCAA Championship tournaments -- I believe the only (at least major) sport in which
there is no NCAA Championship Tournament (don't get me started on that!).  You can hardly avoid
some commercialization when the name of the event is e.g. The Continental Tire Bowl.

Clay