From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:04:16 -0700
http://www.goblackbears.com

August 13, 2003
North Dakota, Denver, and the Ice Breaker Highlight Future Hockey
Schedules

ORONO, Maine-- The University of Maine men's ice hockey team has
reached agreements to play several of the nation's top teams over the
next three seasons, ensuring the Black Bears one of the most
competitive schedules in the country in each of the upcoming three
seasons.

Highlighting the matchups are nonconference tilts with perennial NCAA
Tournament participants North Dakota and Denver, and an appearance in
the Ice Breaker Tournament.

The Black Bears will play a home-and-home series with the University of
North Dakota. The Fighting Sioux will visit Alfond Arena in October of
2004-05, before Maine travels to Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks
early in the 2005-06 season. The Fighting Sioux challenged the Black
Bears for the top spot in the national polls early last season. Maine
has agreed to a home-and-home series with Denver starting in 2005-06.
The Pioneers will travel to Maine for games tentatively scheduled for
Oct. 14 and 15, 2005, with the Black Bears visiting Denver the
following fall.

The Black Bears, who hosted the national Ice Breaker Tournament in
2001-02, have been invited to play in the tournament once again. Maine
will travel to Colorado College, who will host the tournament in
October 2005, to open its 2005-06 season.

The Tigers and Black Bears met last season in the Nye Frontier Classic
in Anchorage, Alaska. The Ice Breaker Tournament is a season-opening
tournament with a representative from each of the top four college
hockey conferences.

Maine has also agreed to continue its participation in the annual
Everblades College Hockey Classic in Estero, Fla., a tournament the
Black Bears won in 2002-03. The Black Bears will face Cornell in the
opening game in 2004-05, a season in which Ohio State and Boston
College are also in the four-team field.

In addition to some of the top national powers, the Black Bears will
face some of the top teams in the northeast. Maine will welcome St.
Lawrence in a return of a home-and-home agreement in 2004-05. The Black
Bears travel to Harvard, one of the top teams in the ECAC, in 2004-05,
and will also play a game at Dartmouth.

"I am very pleased about securing these games against top-notch
opponents," said UMaine head coach Tim Whitehead. "I am very excited to
see these teams coming to Alfond Arena."

In addition, fans in the southern part of the state can look forward to
the Black Bears continuing their tradition of playing at the Cumberland
County Civic Center. Maine will host Vermont in Portland on January 4,
2004, and is slated to play at the Cumberland County Civic Center in
early January of 2005.

In 2002-03, Maine downed Harvard, 4-2, in front of a soldout crowd of
6,894 at the Cumberland County Civic Center, reinforcing the fact that
the Black Bears have great support in Portland.

"I am really looking forward to the UVM game," said Whitehead. "With
the tremendous support that we have always received when playing in
Portland, I am committed to bringing the Black Bears to southern Maine
for many years to come."

For information on men's ice hockey tickets, contact the UMaine ticket
office at 207-581-BEAR. For up-to-date information on Black Bear
athletics visit www.GoBlackBears.com.