From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 01:23:10 -0500

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Erik Biever wrote:

> They must have need-based aid, as in "coach needs a goalie."

You mean like David LeNeveu's replacement at Cornell, who is receiving
NO financial aid?  Or Ken Dryden, whose "honorary scholarship" covered
less than 6% of his educational expenses?  (This is third-hand, from
http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=914478#post914478
but I have no reason to believe Al is lying or wrong.)

I don't know why it is that people from schools offering athletic
scholarships insist on implying that non-scholarship schools are
giving de facto athletic scholarships when they're not.

My understanding of how things work at the Ivies is that the total
amount of financial aid a student receives is entirely need-based.  As
in, determined solely by the financial situation of the student and
his or her family.  The breakdown of this financial aid package--how
much is grants, how much is loans, and how much is work-study--is set
with an eye to attracting the most "desirable" students, in terms of
academics, athletics, diversity, musical ability, etc.  This is where
preferential treatment for student-athletes comes in, in the
*breakdown* of the need-based financial aid package.  BUT ... Union
doesn't even do that!  As I understand it, athletes are treated no
differently from other students at any stage of Union's financial aid
process.

Don't bother letting reality get in the way of your prejudices, though.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Enjoy the latest Hockey Geek tools at slack.net/hockey