Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:39:17 -0700
At 08:58 AM 4/2/99 -0600, Joe wrote:

>To me
>
>Part one (Niagara) makes sense.  HEA may not like the travel, though.
>
>part 2 (Quinnipiac) seems like another "Don't let the facts get in the
>way of a good story" Globism.

I was one of the few on this list that did see Q play this year. While
they'd definitely dwell in the cellar for a year or two of Hockey East, I'd
wager they'd still emerge from their inaugrual HEA season with at least 5
wins -- which is 2 more than Northeastern had in 96-97. Same goes for Niagara.

As for the general opinion that Q just "isn't of D1 caliber," growth also
means a larger disparity between the top and bottom teams. I would think
that few coaches would object to a teams like Quinnipiac, Niagara or
Nebraska entering their league.

Oh wait, Nebraska will be entering a league. [smirk]  Who woulda thunk of
that four years ago?

>Unless----reorganization of Eastern hockey is in the works (3 leagues to
>4??)

This is the most likely course of action -- especially if there were a
third strong contender for entry into HEA. That would make a total of
twelve teams, which could easily be split into two 6-division teams; play 2
games against your opposite division, keep three against your own division.
The best thing is that would allow for 10+ NC games. Sounds nice to me.

I agree that travel would be an issue, however. Niagara is indeed a haul --
but so is St Lawrence and Clarkson, which many HEA teams regularly travel
to. Heading out that way once per season really isn't so bad, especially if
it's combined with an NC opponent or better yet, another New York school
(RPI?) becoming the 12th HEA team...

Not that I expect this to happen anytime soon  :-)

greenie

ps: what a great day of semifinals!