From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:37:17 -0500
Deron Treadwell wrote:

> Mike York has been on the ice for 900+ shifts this year and during all that
> time he has been on the ice for ONLY two even-strength goals and is a +35.
> York has 51 points (21g, 29a) to lead his team in scoring and averages 25
> minutes played per game.  York has received solid recognition from the CCHA
> by being named Player-of-the-Year, Best Defensive Forward and First-Team
> CCHA, but I don't think he's receiving nearly enough media attention
> nationally for the Hobey Baker.

You stated York's case very well.  You might also have added that he's an iron
man in terms of playing minutes, especially in the third period of tight games.
While CCHA opponents surely know about him, the lack of pizzazz that comes with
being an offensive player on a highly defensive team probably accounts for his
lack of national recognition.

He's also come to be known as Peppermint Patty in some circles.  MSU's SID
apparently did some promotion early in the season by distributing York
Peppermint Patties to interested parties.  I understand the one sent to the
head of the Hobey committee arrived in not very good shape.  The Spartans may
have a packaging problem in both their postal and their promotional systems.

Bob.