From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:11:17 -0600
     still if a team plays up --- either a DII or DI team and picks up
     points (i.e. RIT @ UNO) there ought to be a way to acknowledge/reward
     them for it.

Subject: D-II schools in the RPI
Author:  [log in to unmask] at Internet-USA
Date:    2/25/99 10:18 AM

<<Why are the schools like Mercyhurst not included in the small school RPI.
Even
though they are not DIII and eligible for the playoffs they still compete in a
DIII league.  It seems that teams like Elmira are being unfairly penalized for
playing and beating these strong DII teams.  I think the polls would look much
different if these teams were included, after all these are traditional rivals
who in the past have always been considered.>>

The two main RPIs that are done for small schools (USCHO's and mine) used to
include teams like Mercyhurst and Bemidji.

We both elected not to this year since none of those schools are eligible for
the D-II NCAAs. All the major D-II programs have declared for D-I. Only 5 true
D-II schools remain, and only St. Anselm is in a major conference (the rest
are in the ECAC Northeast).

The USCHO poll used to include these teams as well, but they were dropped by
request from the voters, who wanted a purely D-III poll. This was another
reason for dropping them from the RPI.

And, as you probably know, these rivalries are dead after this season. Bemidji
is leaving the NCHA, and Mercyhurst is gone from the ECAC West. Mercyhurst and
Elmira play for the last time in the regular season this Saturday. The Lakers
are joining the MAAC next season.

Chris Lerch
US College Hockey Magazine
US College Hockey Online -- www.uscollegehockey.com
Color Voice of RIT Hockey on 89.7 WITR and
http://www.modernmusicandmore.com/realaudio.html