From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:20:51 -0500
On Saturday, February 20, 1999, Larry Weintraub wrote:

> Considering that Cornell has already been in one game with 200+ penalty
> minutes (Union) and another with close to that (Princeton), one has to
> wonder whether this game should be considered either
>
> 1)  A rectifying of statistical anomalies so that Cornell, like any other
> team averages a normal amount of penalties per game (an averaging ut so to
> speak)
>
> 2)  A clearly poorly refereed game since obviously Cornell doesn't play
> penalty free or even limited penalty hockey.
>
> or
>
> 3)  A display of the clearly inconsistent style of the ECAC referees.
>
> I'm inclined towards (3).  Just thought I'd comment.

Well, every game is different. I thought (J.) Murphy actually called a pretty
good game last night, but I also thought Doiron did a good job in the
Princeton game. There was some chippiness, and some mutual holds, but Murphy
did a good job verbalizing to get them off of each other. If there's an
inconsistency, it's in a referee's decision to take both players or neither
when the "infraction" is even. Murphy says no, Doiron says yes.

I'm going to have to stop talking nicely about referees or I'll start to get
a reputation around here.

Pat Carr
Cornell '96