From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:09:41 -0500
Joe LaCour and Russell Jaslow (and others earlier) have both referenced the
lack of respect that the CCHA had when it was founded.  I wonder if someone
can give me a little background.

The CCHA's founding happened at a time when I wasn't following college
hockey.  I remember the old WCHA (or a similar name) having Colorado
College, Denver, North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, and I
believe Michigan Tech.  I don't remember any of the other Minnesota or
Michigan schools, any of the Ohio or Alaska schools, and I don't think
Wisconsin was a major player yet.

What I find curious is that at least two of the schools in the CCHA,
Michigan and Michigan State, and Michigan especially had a lot of stature
back then.  So I don't understand the lack of respect.   It would seem to me
that those two schools alone would afford the league some amount of respect.
Were Michigan and Michigan State in the CCHA when it was founded?   If so,
why was the league so dissed?

Clay