From:
Kirk Ahlberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:00:38 -0600
>Subject: Minnesota Hockey

>I'd like to explore a different aspect of Minnesota hockey.

>I look at the Minnesota roster, and the thing that strikes me is that
>EVERYBODY  on the roster lists a home town in Minnesota.   I can't believe
>that this is an accident.  Can someone more knowledgeable tell me if there
>is a policy of only having Minnesota residents on the roster, and if so
>whether it comes from the athletic department, the university, or somewhere
>in the state government?

Back in the 50s, nearly everyone playing college hockey was Canadian.
John Mariucci was the first coach to change this trend.  He filled his teams
at Minnesota with Americans and, more specifically, Minnesotans.  At that
time, Minnesota produced a large percentage of the hockey talent in the U.S.

When Woog began coaching the Gophers, he started the trend of recruiting
nobody but Minnesotans.  Ten years ago, Minnesota and UMD were the only D-I
puck schools in MN and Woog had easy pickings of the top talent every year.
At that time, Minnesota still produced a substantial percentage of American
hockey talent.  Now there are 5 D-I schools in MN and other states
(California?!) are beginning to produce hockey players.

Another reason that Woog always states for his recruitment of locals, is that
the scholarships don't cost the University as much.  The scholarship is worth
the cost of an in-state tuition which is quite cheaper than an out-of-state
student would pay.  I'm not sure who pays the difference?  We, the people, I
suppose.

Also, through the Woog era, Gopher boosters have begun to take pride in the
fact that the team is entirely made up of Minnesotans.  The state still
produces plenty of talent, but it is not always easy to judge which 5 or 6 of
the many D-I caliber players will turn out to be the best college hockey
players.   This, coupled with the fact that other states are catching up in
player production, makes it tougher to compete with the all-local strategy.

kirk out.