From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:14:12 -0500
I think the issue here is that the Canadian anational anthem played in the
NHL is for the Canadian team that is in the building, not for the players
who may happen to be Canadian.

If colleges are playing the Canadian national anthem, I think there may be
just cause to say "scrap it".  I am a Canadian myself, but I did not expect
to hear the Canadian national anthem while playing in the CCHA.

A Canadian flag in the arena ( for teams who have Canadians), and a Swedish
flag (if a team had such a player) is all that a player would ask for. I
know we may have the United Nations up in the rafters, but if a school is
going to bring in a player from another country, the least that could be
done is to hang the country's flag for that player, no national anthem is
necessary.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994

[log in to unmask] on 11/18/98 11:16:55 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]