Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:47:40 -0500
>  The widespread unpopularity of enforcing this rule is why officials do
not enforce it.  Yes, the rule is in the book, but would you want it called?
To begin enforcement of an unpopular and rarely enforced rule it takes an
edict from the governing body.

This seems strange.  On the one hand we hear a lot about how mouthguards are
essential safety equipment.  On the other hand we hear that coaches think
it's a dumb rule.  Surely they are interested in the players' health, so one
or the other perception must be false.

Oh, and on the third hand... (hey, wait a minute)... I've seen the call made
once in three hundred games watched, and an uncalled violation perhaps a
half dozen times, yet WCHA fans seem to see it (called or otherwise) all the
time.  Is there really such a difference in the incidence of either the
violation or the call?