From:
Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:44:54 -0500
Eleven months after the University of Minnesota self-reported violations
in its men's hockey program, the National Collegiate Athletic
Association has approved the Gophers' report, making the investigation
complete. Sanctions included reducing full tenders from 18 to 17 last
year, but the 18th has been restored for the coming season. The
university received the NCAA's acceptance two weeks ago, but it went
unannounced.

Former Gopher Joe Dziedzic, the ex-Pittsburgh Penguin from Minneapolis,
has agreed to a one-year free-agent contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks are working on a new contract for former
Gophers defenseman Dan Trebil, who was paid at a $350,000-a-year rate
while in the NHL last season and at a $62,500 rate while in the minors.

Peter Samargia, the Eveleth goalie the Gophers were trying to recruit,
has decided to play for the Twin Cities Vulcans. Visiting the campus on
Thursday was Moorhead goalie Jason Gregoire, who is trying to decide if
he wants to walk on at Minnesota.

Gophers hockey player Mike Anderson spent a month in a summer training
camp with the Washington Capitols, who own his draft rights. Then he
went to Europe to play for a WCHA all-star team, joining teammate Wyatt
Smith. "I'm coming back to school and not signing a pro contract,"
Anderson said. "And the European experience was a good one even though
we lost two games and tied one."

--
|Kevin L Ames             |DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND|   /__  _\
|email:[log in to unmask] It is reality that is |   \  \(  |