From:
James Clippinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:37:25 -0400
Richard S. Tuthill wrote:
> Well,  there is a right way and a wrong way to do things,  folks.   That
> is something you learn in life over time.   Leaving six weeks before
> practice starts is the wrong way  --  no matter how you cut it,  no matter
> what rationalization you want to use.   I'll leave it at that.

...but especially in this case, with Stan having applied for the
Brown job last year, you have to think that the players knew full
well that he might not be back.  Besides, the quotes I have
seen lead me to believe they're thrilled to be playing for Sneddon.

> But if so,  the execution on the announcements could have
> been a little more seamless,  and they could have been spun more
> effectively.   The Union AD was in Hyannis at the ECAC meeting when this
> story broke and then took a couple of days to announce his selection upon
> his return.   That suggests surprise on Union's part,  so the conclusion
> must be drawn that they weren't in a position to influence any of the
> events.

Well, I assume there wasn't collusion between the schools, but moreso
that the word was put out that Sneddon would be named head coach
immediately if Stan left.  It would still take a few days for the AD
to officially name Sneddon the new coach, and besides, who wants
to announce a resignation and a hiring at the same time?  It's messy.

Also, if there was collusion, wasn't the AD's meetings at Hyannis a
*great* place for it to happen? :)

> Even so,  as it stands,  the situation leaves a non-optimum
> impression when it could have been presented by both schools as something
> better.

I disagree, since Colgate managed to snag a top-quality head coach
as an assistant.  I also know from sources that Stan wasn't one
of the three original finalists for the assistant job, so I don't
think Colgate "stole" him from Union.  In the end, it's my (biased)
opinion that the Red Raiders come out smelling like roses.

Union, on the other hand, would be in rough shape were Sneddon not
in the picture.  Instead, this is just a bump in the road for
what could be one of the ECAC's more exciting teams this year.
It does look bad, though, but considering the administration's
hockey ignorance, such an embarrassment might be justified.

James Clippinger
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~james/