From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:17:18 -0400
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:24:42 -0600 James Evans wrote:

> Kevin Ames wrote:
>
> >The Carlson brothers -- Ross and Rheese of Duluth East -- visited the
> >Gophers campus on Wednesday. Rheese, who was a senior last season, will
> >play for Rochester of the United States Hockey League.
>
> Currently I already count 6 possible former Duluth East players playing
> Division I hockey next year:
> Gopohers
> Dave Spehar
> Dylan Mills
> Nick Angell-Fresh. next year
> Derek Locker- ? could be
> UMD
> Ryan Coole
> Nik Patronis
>
> I am wondering if this is some kind of record for a public high schools. I
> know Edina and Grand Rapids placed numerous players on Division I teams in
> the 80's. With expansion, who knows what will happen?

While having 6 players from one public high school is notable, you cannot
overlook the impact on college hockey Catholic Memorial has generated this
decade.  In the 1992-93 season, Boston University had seven players on their
squad from CM:    Mark Bavis
    Mike Bavis
    Dan Donato
    Stephen Foster
    Chris O'Sullivan
    Kevin O'Sullivan
    Mike Prendergast

Adding head coach Jack Parker to the list gives you a total of eight alums
from one high school on one college team.  This doesn't count the other CM
players in college hockey that year, notably Jim Carey at Wisconsin.  Oddly
enough, BU will have nobody from CM playing for them this year.

Of course, CM is a private parochial school, however it does participate in
Massachusetts public high school tournaments for all sports.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller