From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 17:56:18 -0500
>When I read earlier this year about Nebraska-Omaha fielding a
>division 1 hockey program, I recall thinking that this was a boondoggle
>in the making. They don't play hockey in Nebraska, they play football
>and grow wheat.
Ah yes, that national bias against midwesterners. Something I've learned to
despise. Whoda thunk us backwardish Omahans watch hockey, let alone sell out
a 6,000 seat arena for 221 games straight, and now 8,314 for UNO? ;-)

Lincoln(45-60 minutes away) sells out for their USHL team too.
FYI, we grow soybeans and raise livestock, Kansas grows wheat, Iowa grows
corn(Don't ask why we're the cornhusker state then, I have no clue).

>These wheat farmers in Nebraska (no, I've never been to Omaha)
You'd like it, Omaha has a 600,000 metro area population(I think that
includes the Idiots Out Wandering Around(I.O.W.A.) in Council Bluffs across
the river though) Also, Omahans tend to have jobs like all you people on the
east coast, and we are home to the 2nd richest man in the USA, so we can't
be all bad. Most farmers and/or ranchers are in the western part of the
state. Omaha is now in the top 40 cities by population. Also, we're home to
the College World Series for close to 50 years now (let's see you coastal
people bring 20,000+ for a college baseball game)

> seem to be packing 8000+ in for every game.
We're also trying to pass legislation for a new 14,000(for
hockey)-16,000(for basketball/concerts/etc.) arena so we can attract an IHL
team, NCAA's hockey final 4, basketball regional, other big events we can't
currently get. Majority of the pop agrees we need a bigger arena, but the
biggest stumbling point will be financing it. We're also trying to host a
pre-season hockey tourny next year and get a 2000 hockey regional for the Civic.

>Considering they aren't in a league yet and have no "traditional" rivals,
>that is simply amazing.
A)I read somewhere we're on a WCHA trial schedule, and we're more than
likely going to be admitted to the WCHA in 2 years. And I can't wait to
break out the "Ov-er-ra-ted" chants when we face New Hampshire and Wisconsin
in under a month at the Civic. (course we hafta have a lead to do that, but
anything's possible)

The rivalry thing brings up a question I have as a rookie colelge hockey
fan, what are the hockey equivelents of Michigan/Ohio State,
Nebraska/Oklahoma, Army/Navy type rivalries in football? Also, I'm betting
Mankato State and/or Saint Cloud St. might become a rivalry, I know they're
in our Div 2 football conference.

>In 2 short months, UNO has established Omaha as a hotbed of college hockey
>and is well on its way to becoming one of the premier college hockey programs
>in the country.
2 months? no,no, 15 months. That's how long its been since our team was
announced til our first game, plenty of time to recruit and get a good schedule.

>Who's have thunk it????
Uh, anyone who's lived in or near Omaha since the Lancers were started back
in the 80's. Actually, we have 3 generations of hockey fans here, from the
Omaha Knights back in the post-war era to the Mavericks of this year.

>Welcome to division 1 UNO.  Your entrance to division 1 college hockey has
>not only made your school look good, it's good for all college hockey programs
>in the country.
Thanks, glad to be here.

Ben F.
U-N-O! U-N-O!