From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:59:17 -0500
If Commissioner McLeod is so concerned about the lost playoff revenue should
Minnesota not finish high enough to host first-round games, then why doesn't he
just GIVE the Gophers a home-ice berth if they don't earn it themselves?

The above is facetious, but only slightly.  If the NCAA can play various tricks
to "maximize revenue" at the regionals, it's not that big a step for the con-
ferences to start doing the same thing.  I would hate like hell for that to
start happening, but with college sports becoming more and more of a
business...

And you know, Minnesota could do their part too.  If this is true:

> Last season, for example,
> the Gophers' two first-round playoff games at home against Alaska Anchorage
> earned
> about three-quarters of the money generated that weekend throughout the
> league.

...then think how much more $$$ a THIRD first-round game would have
generated...

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"Two kids left alone... stranger comes over, destroys the house, terrifies the
 kids, tortures the fish."
"R.J., _The Cat in the Hat_ was *not* written by Stephen King."
"He's been known to use a pseudonym."
-- Michael Fry and T. Lewis, "Over the Hedge"