From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 12:17:52 -0500
Cornell posted a good, solid win against an unimpressive Canadian foe last
night.  The first period was a little slow getting started as Cornell
failed to gain control of the puck for any amount of time during the first
three minutes of the game.  Those of us watching the game were beginning to
become concerned until Jeff Oates carried the puck down the right side of
the zone into the corner and then created a nice flurry from there.  Though
he was unable to score on the night, Oates presence was felt on the ice and
he created a significant number of scoring opportunities.  The first period
in general was uneventful, with Cornell unable to get too many shots
through to the goaltender with good force.  The Ryerson goalie did come up
with some pretty nice play, and the period ended scoreless.

It wasn't too long into the second period before Cornell got onto the
board.  About two minutes in, Brian Telesmanic (Fr, #23) took the puck in
the slot, made a nifty move, and then beat the goaltender to open the
season's scoring for the Big Red.  Shortly thereafter Cornell collected its
second goal of the game from the line of Knopp, Moynihan, Auger.  This
should be the first of many for this explosive line.  When you see Big Red
3,6,19, you should worry if you're the opposition.  This is the explosive
first line for this year's Big Red.  Or at least it is now, in October.  In
March they may be playing on 3 different lines for all we know, but today
it's the group to watch.

        Cornell picked up a third goal late in the second after Ryerson had
made a goaltender change at the 11 minute mark of the period.  Auger then
scored on a beautiful backhander into the top shelf.  Larry Pierce (Fr.
#24) had an assist on the goal, which was good because his defensive play
was less than stellar.  We'll cut the guy a break since he had knee surgery
over the summer and I hear he's wearing a rather bulky back brace as well.
He should be an excellent offensive defensiveman as he did a good amount of
puck carrying through the Neutral Zone.

        In the third period Cornell continued to carry the play, the game
got a little physical when ?Andy? McNiven (Fr. #10) picked up a puck just
outside the Cornell blueline and appeared to have a free go for a 1 on 0
with the Ryerson netminder.  However, McNiven was a little slow and the
Ryerson defender caught up to him and took him down for an obvious penalty.
Tyler Sutherland (Fr. #21) decided he didn't like that and took the
offending party in to the back boards with a vicious
cross-check/boarding/charging hit.  The player took several minutes to get
up.  Sutherland received a 5 minute major and a game dq for his trouble.
This is a guy who likes to hit.  A lot.  And hard.  We should see some good
checking from him all year long, though I would guess not against
Northeastern, since I believe he'll now have to sit that one out.  Smart
finsihed the scoring on a goal asssited by none other that  Freshman
goaltender Ian Burt.  With a point in his first game he probably exceeds
Eliott's career total.  I somehow doubt this fact will win him the starting
job, though.  Ryerson pulled their goalie in the final minute and a half,
put on a little pressure, and were stymied by Mr. Burt.  Oates had a chance
to put one in the empty net from afar, but missed.  A few others had a
chance as well, but the final ended 4-0 Cornell.

Notable:

Knopp made a fantastic move in the third to get a breakaway on the Ryerson
netminder but was then stoned by a nice glove save.

Stienstra had a nice move to put the goalie on the gorund but failed to
lift his backhander over the outstretched stick shaft and also could not
finish.

Darren Tymchshyn did not dress due to a groin injury.

David Hovey (Fr. #18) did not dress.  He was the most impressive of the
Freshmen at the Red-White game.

David Powell (Fr. #7 D)  has some big shoes to fill with his number, and
has a very nice hard shot from the point.

The power play was lackluster.  Some good quantity of attack time, but the puck
stayed on the outside with the pointmen, particularly Knopp, reluctant to
shoot.  I do not believe Cornell managed to score on the advantage, though
Smart's goal may have been a pp.

The defense was much more involved in the offense than in the past, with
Daily and Pierce carrying the puck and Powell shooting it.

Sachetti has bulked up.  He is a large man.  His puck handling has also
improved.

The freshmen looked good, in general.  We'll see how it goes against
Northeastern.  I hope Tymchshyn comes back soon, it seemed the rookies got
a lot of playing time.

Larry Weintraub,
Cornell University
Let's Go BIG RED!!!!!

Quote of the Semester:
   "Our program was coming but when we played Cornell our building just
changed.  The Cornell fans brought a lot of their chants and their
tradition to this building.  From then on, our crowd has taken off"

                --Michigan Hockey Coach Red Berenson