From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:56:00 EDT
Arthur Mintz writes...

>>If I'm not mistaken, goaltenders cannot be captains or alternates.
>>
>>Paula C. Weston
>
>Goaltenders cannot perform the activities allowed to captains (e.g.,
>talking to referees, specifying players to serve bench penalties) during
>games. However, there is much more to being a captain of a team than
>talking to officials during games.

From memory, here are a few lettered 'tenders from the 1990s:
  Blair Allison (Maine) "C"
  Mike Gilmore (Michigan State) "A"
  Derek Herlofsky (Boston Univ) "A"
  Dwayne Roloson (UMLowell) "A"

This seems to be OK, provided that there in a non-goaltender
wearing a "C" and performing the duties that Arthur mentions.
Hence...I think Michigan's Marty Turco should and will have
an "A" in 1997-98.

Btw...please message me if any of my "recollections" above
were incorrect.  Thanks.

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])