From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 17:26:51 -0500
The Army Coach is Rob Riley (the first family of American hockey coaches).
The service academies have an advantage- they can only recruit American
players- I mean the "schools" we are talking about are American schools and
in an era when we are discussing immigration policies etc- we ought to
rethink the mass importation of foreign athletes into NCAA sports (it's not
just hockey- foreign athletes have ruined US track and field and swimming and
before we hockey people slam the NCAA- look what has happened to the great
sport of collegiate wrestling due to lunacy in enforcement of  Title IX).  In
the past two years Rob Riley's Black Knights have tied and beaten Cornell;
beat UM Duluth; Northeastern; RPI; Yale; tied Union and Princeton- they are
not an easy 2 points for anyone and they play with gusto. USMA does have a
decent prep school draw and for an eastern player it is "home" and they will
be seen by friends and relatives. Army has played out West (Minnesota-Alaska)
and has done a great job of bringing in a contingent from Mn, Ak, and Mi.
National champs no- competitive and exciting yes. It seems to me that Doug
Woog makes do with American boys. Query- now that Cornell has a Slovakian
does that mean we have 3 anthems before the game. Please I am not a
"jingoist". I just think it is lunacy and counterproductive to our own
interests not to give preferences to our own American players who's parents
pay the taxes that subsidize the schools.