From:
DOUGLAS COFFMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1991 13:42:14 EST
Copied without permission from the _Michigan_Tech_Lode_ Fri, Nov 1, 1991

Volume LXXI, Number 8, Page 12

HUSKIES HOCKEY THIS WEEK

The Game:  MTU (1-1-0) vs. Northern Michigan (2-1-1)
Faceoff:  Friday:  7:05 p.m., Laveview Arena, Marquette
          Saturday:  7:05 p.m., MacInnes Student Ice Arena, Houghton
The Coaches:  Newell Brown, 2nd Season, 14-26-3
              Rick Comely, 16th Season, 332-236-31
Coverage:  WZRK-FM, 93.5, Both nights [Note:  This is HOUGHTON coverage only.]

THE HUSKIES AND THE WILDCATS GO AT IT
By:  Jeff Peters, Staff Writer

THE BATTLE CONTINUES
    One of the bigest rivalries in college sports takes place this weekend when
 the Michigan Tech hockey Huskies take on the defending NCAA Champion Wildcats
 of Northern Michigan and there will be no holds barred...almost.
    Friday's game is slated to begin at 7:05 p.m. at the Lakeview Arena in
 Marquette while Saturday's game, which is the Hall of Fame game [for MTU], will
 begin at 7:05 p.m. at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena.
    Both games will be broadcast by WZRK, 95.5 FM.  The voice of the Huskies,
 Bob Olson, will call the play-by-play and the legendary Darcy Way will add his
 insight to the game.
    The two rivals will be meeting each other for the 55th and 56th times.  The
 series began in 1979 and the overall record stands at 25-25-4.  NOrthern holds
 a 12-10-2 edge when playing in Marquette while the series is deadlocked at
 13-13-2 when the two have played in Houghton.  [Don't ask me...I didn't do the
 math!]
    The champs come into the two game Western Collegiate Hockey Association
 (WCHA) home and home series 2-1-1 after splitting with Minnesota-Duluth.  The
 loss halted Northern's 29 game winning streak.
    The team is coached by Rick Comely, the 13th winningest coach in college
 history.  He has a 391-282-34 overall record and is 332-226-31 at the helm of
 Northern.
    The Wildcats are lead offensively by junior forward Jim Hiller, senior
 center Scott Beattie, last year's scoring leader and senior center Mark
 Beaufait.  Their line has combined for a total of 35 points in two weekends of
 play, half of the teams total..
    Northen is a bit green in goal this year after Bill Pye, their mainstay,
 graduated.  Freshman Corwin Saurdiff is 2-0-0, sophomore Jamie Welsh is 0-1-0
 while junior Rob Kruhlak is 0-0-1.
    Defensively, the cats are returning five letterwinners but lost All-American
 Brad Werenka.
    "Northern is always a tough team to play, and the rivalry adds to the
 excitement.  They have a very potent offence and our defense will definitely be
 tested this weekend." Huskies head coach Newell Brown said.
    Brown is in [his] second year as head coach of the Huskies and holds a
 14-26-3 record.
    Tech is lead offensively by senior wing Jamie Steer who has two points in
 the two games played.  Four other players also have two points.
    On defense, the Huskies are led by All-American candidate Darcy Martini who
 has also helped the offense by scoring two points.
    In the net, sophomore Jamie Ram and senior Geoff Sarjeant were spectacular
 in the games they played in, holding Wisconsin to only six goals.  Ram is the
 top goaltender in the WCHA with a .972 saves percentage.
    "We have to be opportunistic in our scoring by taking advantage of their
 mistakes," Brown said. "Our players are confident in their abilities and they
 know they can win if they play as a team."

THE HALL OF FAME
    Seven new members will be inducted into the Michigan Tech Hall of Fame.
 HOckey greats Tony Esposito and Lou Angotti will be inducted as will Rene
 Adams, Tech's first sports information director.  The other inductees are:
 Allan Olson for multiple sports, Karen Henry for skiing, Dan VanAbel for
 football and Gerald Caspary for multiple services.  The ceremonies will take
 place between the first and second periods.  There will also be an induction
 dinner which is to begin at 4 p.m. in the Memorial Union..  Tickets can be
 purchased at the Central Ticket Office in the SDC.

ODDS & ENDS
    Tech and Northern WILL be playing for the Ramada Cup even though there is no
 longer a Ramada Inn in Houghton.  Northern has won the Cup all three years that
 it has been in existence.
    The last time MTU won at Northern was on Jan. 14, 1988 by a 4-2 score.
    The last time Northern lost at home was Jan. 12, 1990 against Denver.
    Jamie Steer gained his 100th career point against Wisconsin.
    The Huskies will play seven of its next 10 games away.
    Freshman center Travis Seale is the only player in the WCHA to score a short
 handed goal [this season?].

--Sorry if the formatting is a little rough...I'm on a new system and need to
learn a little more about it!

Let's play HOCKEY!!!

Douglas J. Coffman
Michigan Tech!!!