From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur C. Mintz
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 12:37:29 -0500
Mark Anbinder posted the Cornell press release announcing Mike Schafer's
appointment as head coach of men's ice hockey to the CU-SPORTS mailing
list. I'm forwarding that announcement to HOCKEY-L.

>Date: 21 Jul 1995 20:18:12 GMT
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (Mark H. Anbinder)
>Subject: Schafer named hockey head coach
>

>SCHAFER NAMED CORNELL HEAD MEN'S HOCKEY COACH
>
>ITHACA, NY -- Mike Schafer, 32, an associate hockey coach at Western Michigan
>University, will return to his alma mater as the head men's hockey mentor at
>Cornell University. The announcement was made today by Charles H. Moore,
>director of athletics at the University. Schafer replaces Brian McCutcheon
>who has held the position since 1987.
>
>In making the announcement, Moore said, "All through the interview process,
>Mike Schafer showed his passion for the game of college hockey and working
>with student-athletes. Mike is a caring coach who represents the quality,
>character, and excellence we want for Cornell hockey. As a former Big Red
>player and assistant coach, he knows what our institution and hockey program
>is all about. He also brings a varied and successful background in Division I
>recruiting and we look forward to his leadership in that area. Mike has the
>credentials to lead the men's hockey team into the 21st century."
>
>The new Red head coach is extremely pleased to be returning to his alma
>mater. He said, "When I left Cornell, I had mixed emotions because I loved
>the hockey program and the Ithaca community meant a great deal to me. On the
>other hand, it was a tremendous opportunity to go work with Coach Bill
>Wilkinson in a new environment. I felt that coaching in a different league
>would benefit my professional development. Being a head coach has always been
>a goal of mine and now it has become a reality. And it's even better --
>returning to a great university such as Cornell. It's like returning home."
>
>A 1986 graduate of Cornell's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences with a
>major in business management and marketing, Schafer was a four-year letterman
>on defense for the Big Red and a two-year captain. He capped his collegiate
>career by leading the skaters to the ECAC championship and a No. 5 ranking in
>his senior year.
>
>After graduation, Schafer was named a Big Red assistant coach in September
>1986. He was instrumental in recruiting 14 players who were National Hockey
>League draft choices, two of whom became All-Americans. He also handled the
>Cornell junior varsity skaters from 1986 to 1988. During Schafer's coaching
>tenure with the Red, the skaters had ECAC final four appearances in 1989 and
>1990.
>
>The new Cornell head coach left his alma mater in 1990 to become an assistant
>at Western Michigan of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association and he was
>promoted to associate coach in 1994. At Western, he was recruiting
>coordinator, handled team administrative responsibilities and had on-ice
>duties of working with the defensemen. Four of his recruits were named to the
> [...]

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Operations Officer (Acting)
Cornell Information Technologies / Information Resources

"There's only two things in life, but I forget what they are." - John Hiatt