From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 20:53:43 -0500
This is replying to two or three posts, so bear with me:

Re: the item about whether Brown was shut out twice or not in 1965:

I had been using the archives when doing a couple posts I did last week con-
cerning the NC$$ Tournament.  It may be possible that the archives are incor-
rect regarding the score of the 1965 third place game by North Dakota.  But,
if the archives are correct, Michigan Tech's shutout of Brown in the 1965
semifinals was the first shutout in the NC$$ Tournament.  Up to that point,
no team had been shutout in the 17 previous years.

Re: who has appeared most often in the Tournament and in the Phinal Phour:

The most appearances in the tournament belongs to Minnesota at 22.  BU is
second with 21 and Boston College third with 19.  Hot on their heels: Michigan
with 18 appearances.

Most Phinal Phour appearances belongs to Boston University, who will be making
its 18th appearance in 1995.  Michigan and Minnesota will both be making their
16th appearances when they go to Providence, while Maine will be in its fifth
Phinal Phour.  Next on the list: Boston College with 13, followed by Denver
and Harvard, both with 12.

Re: Days off before playing
Andy Dursin wrote:
>---It *DEFINITELY* makes a difference when one team has to play 2 nights in a
>row while the other comes in fresh for the second round. Denver and LSSU might
>have actually beaten BU and Maine with a day off inbetween the games; as is,
>their legs were gone by the mid-point of the Saturday night games, and the
>Terriers and Black Bears cruised to wins.

This may actually sound sacreligious (sp?) to some, but I would prefer one of
two options to eliminating this:  a) cut the field back to eight; or b) keep
it at 12 but go back to a best-of-three setup in the first round and the
quarterfinals.  Even with cutting the field back to eight, I would go back to
a best-of-three format in the quarterfinals, with all games played at neutral
sites.  The idea of teams getting byes and thus preferred routes to the title
has never sat well with me, independent of the sport.  If they do get byes,
somehow put them on equal footing with the teams they're playing; e.g. give
both teams a week's rest.  Here's an idea that could have been used this year:

        West Subregional                           East Subregional
       Minnesota vs. RPI                         Lake Superior vs. Clarkson
       Michigan State vs. Wisconsin              New Hampshire vs. Denver
               (all series neutral-side; best of three; played
                weekend of March 24, 25, 26)

        West Regional                              East Regional
       Minn/RPI winner vs. CC                    LSSU/Clarkson winner vs. BU
       MSU/UW winner vs. UM                      UNH/Denver winner vs. Maine
               (all series neutral-site [pardons above]; best-of-three;
                played weekend of March 31, April 1,2)

                             Phinal Phour
                       (played April 6, 8)

Hey, it's a thought. :-)  It also would allow college hockey to get out of the
shadows of college pituitary-freak ball, unless the NC$$ has some stupid reg-
ulation about how late in the year the title can be decided.  More games usuallymeans more revunue, something the NC$$ has never shied away from.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

Re: the Conference Tournament Contest:  Due to my rush to try to get out of the
Lansing area by Wednesday morning (headed you know where), it's going to be
virtually impossible for me to put out the complete standings by tomorrow.  WhatI will most likely do is put it and the NC$$ Tournament standings into one or
two posts to be put out after I get back from Providence (where I am somewhere
in upper peanut heaven).