From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 22:27:41 -0400
A local TV station reported at 6 pm that Buddy Powers will be announced
as the new BGSU head hockey coach tomorrow. It was quite the scoop, as
they ran this story AHEAD of the Jamie Farr Golf report. It takes quite
a story in Toledo to beat out the guy with the big nose from MASH!

The other TV station only reported that the announcement would be made
tomorrow.

The BG newspaper ran an article about how everyone in the athletic
department knew (even Jerry York, who was back in town to clean out his
office) but no one was talking. Someone finally talked. The paper also
speculated that Rick Comley was out of the running and that it was
between Buddy and Wayne Wilson. BTW, Buddy was already in NW Ohio,
visiting his in-laws. I bet this vacation was not mere coincidence.

Also, it was reported weeks ago that Wilson would be willing to stay on
as assistant coach if he were not chosen as the head coach. I suspect
he will indeed stay on with Buddy, since I think it was Buddy who
recruited him to come to BGSU in the first place.

I haven't been able to verify that the TV report was not completely
made up. I'll have the definitive news from the press conference
tomorrow (my press credentials will say Keith Instone, HOCKEY-L
reporter :^).

Keith