Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 08:07:08 -0400
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I tried to raise this question last season but didn't really
>get an answer. Why does college hockey need the NC$$? It seems
>that they do zip to support or build the sport. They constantly
>favor football and basketball. They apply rules inconsistently
>and to the detriment of hockey, never football or basketball.

Um, not really. The NC$$ is equally boneheaded and unfair in its
treatment of football and hoops programs as well. For example, Auburn's
football program was given a light slap on the wrist for some serious
violations yet other programs who committed smaller infractions, got
more severe penalties. Based on what they've done in the past, I shudder
to think of what they're going to do to Cornell for the housing situation.
In short, the NC$$ is just as unpredictible and arbitrary in dealing
wiht the "big 2" as with hockey

Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>While I agree that college hockey has become better and more popular
>over the last 10 years or so, I am having trouble figuring out why the
>NC$$ deserves any of the credit.  The NC$$ (and by that, I mean the
>organization in Kansas, not the NC$$ Ice Hockey Rules Committee or the
>NC$$ Ice Hockey Tournament Selection Committee - both of which consist

Well it's true that they don't do a damn to promote hockey. We're pretty
popular considering we have no promotion; imagine how much more popular
we'd be if we got half as much exposure as football or hoops!

However, bear in mind, that at teh minimum, being in the NC$$ at least
guarantees that national championship game is on ESPN. ESPN must show
at least one hockey game to fulfill its contract with the NC$$. If we
secede, we must work on getting a tv contract and that might be difficult.

>However, Wayne made some excellent points in answering the question of
>whether hockey should withdraw from the NC$$.  It is not an easy thing
>to do, and the PR repercussions could be devastating.  In the past, I
>have been one of those who advocated the secession; yet, I think I have
>gained a better view of The Big Picture over the last few years and so
>I don't necessarily feel that way anymore.  However, I do still believe
>something needs to be done to get hockey a bigger and better voice in the
>NC$$.  Much of the responsibility for that rests with the hockey people
>themselves - there is much in-fighting amongst the conferences and schools
>that hinders any attempts at unity.

Yes. I think secession might be resisted by the larger schools with big
football/hoops programs who don't want the bad PR. I suspect it might
be favored at smaller schools where hockey is king and people want it
to flourish. I'm not sure as to the specific ramifications on smaller
schools, financially spekaing, of secession, however.

[...]
>I thought Paul raised an important issue - that of whether Cal should
>have been more aware of what was going on.  Perhaps this is true, but
>the problem is that there are so many rules and regulations covering
>things you never would think of, that there are few coaches who know
>them all, let alone players.  Also, one of the reasons there are
>administrators at colleges is because they are supposed to provide
>guidance to students who cannot be expected to be familiar with all the
>rules.  I can understand the sentiment that he should have questioned
>more, but what should he have questioned?  It sounds as if he was told he
>was eligible by someone who should have known these things, and I don't
>see why he should have thought otherwise.

Well, that's because the NC$$ regulations are so absurd. But like I said,
all sports have been affected by such absurdity.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
[...]
>How would I fix the NCAA? I would allow athletes to major in their sport. I
>would eliminate all rules that treat athletes as non-students. I would make
>it easier to form new leagues, so that teams that want to play by the same
>rules can find each other. And I would make it easier for an athlete to
>transfer. And I would require Bowl games to run a Hockey tournament, as well.

However controversial that may be, at least it would lift the veil of
hypocrisy at some schools. Let's face it, many athletes are there solely
for the purpose of playing [insert sport]. Going to class is a joke.
At least this would allow them to be honest.

The only down-side I see is discrimination and pressure against those
who might want to actually major in something academic. Would teammates,
or more to the point, coaches pressure someone to switch to a sport major
or be dropped from the team?