From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1993 17:48:58 EST
I think Scott's overview of the NMU Wildcats, quoted below, is
excellent.

> 5) Northern Michigan: The hardest hitting team in the league. After seeing
> the Wildcats this year I am convinced that once the 'Cats move from Lakeview
> Arena to a new rink it will be called the Comley Center. Head coach Rick
> Comley took a team that was said to be in a rebuilding year to a second
> place finish in the WCHA playoffs. Those of you expecting to see a high

I really agree with his comment about Rick Comley.  You often hear about
how coaches "mold" teams into whatever form THEY are comfortable with. I
think Rick has exhibited far more ability and intelligence this year
than that approach requires.  He had a completely different kind of
teamfrom the one of the previous three years, and he has made
appropriate adjustments in what he expects of them and how he handles
them.  And . . look how it's turned out.  Most people thought the
Wildcats' talent this year was only the eighth-best in the league.  That
may have represented some underrating, but Comley obviously had to do a
lot of careful development of whatever they started out with.  And to do
it so rapidly is amazing!

> powered offense that NMU won its '91 championship with will be disappointed.

Hmmm . . . although the season totals are nothing like those rung up by
the Beattie-Hiller-Drake-Beaufait connection, the team now scores goals
at the same rate as last year's--but they're more spread around among
players and lines.  And, Frederick's goals-per-game number is the second
best in the nation; if he hadn't missed 14 games he'd have close to 40
goals.  How many out there are aware that NMU has OUTSCORED its
opponents over the last third of the season when it is shorthanded??

> Fans of a Broad Street Bullies type of hockey will love the Wildcats.
> Northern's style of play is very advantages to playoff hockey and the
> 'Cats have been playing that way all year. NMU has successfully shadowed
> great forwards all year and I expect that Drury will never be to far from
> a green sweater.

In the closing weeks, Comley moved away from the shadowing technique; he
seems to have decided that his defensive play had become good enough
that a less targeted approach would work.  Never know what will happen
in a given game, though.

> Players to Watch: Joe Fredrick(has more SHG than most teams) Greg Hadden
> Jason Hehr,Brent Riplinger, Mike Harding,Dan Ruoho

To this list I'd add Bryan Ganz and Geoff Simpson for flashes of
offensive action, and Steve Carpenter and Garrett MacDonald for
extremely consistent and effective defensive play.  Hadden, BTW, is a
fairly good competitor with his friend "Freddie" as a shorthanded goal
threat.

Good job, Scott!  :-)

P.S. to Carol White - I don't think we'll stop calling St. Paul Civic
Ctr Lakeview West for a good while yet.  The 'Cats' record there still
shows 9 wins, three losses, three Broadmoor Cups, and a NC$$
championship.  Might be a while before your Gophers accumulate a
comparable record there.  (And just think--they lost to the Golden guys
by essentially one goal in what was their third game in 48 hours.)
    :-) :-)

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask]             * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   *   GO   *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *        *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        * 'CATS! *   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92         * * * *    *