From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 16:06:13 EST
> All this breast-beating over plans to throw tennis balls on the
> ice with calls to consider forfeit of the game or clearing the
> stands is a bit much.  There is no intent to injure and no hockey
> player ever worried about tripping over a tennis ball.  Yes
>          it does delay the game
>          it is boorish
>          perpetrators should be removed
>          a delay-of-game penalty may be called for
>
> but a sense of proportion is also needed.  Save the major penalties
> for situations where people are endangered such as a fan riot.

I don't think that this is the point.  It is not that tennis balls are
inherently dangerous, it is simply a matter of degrees.  If you give fans an
inch in things like this, they eventually try to take a mile.  Because throwing
things has a tendency to lead to some people throwing more dangerous items
eventually (eg. the full beer can I mentioned a couple of days ago that knocked
Cornell goalie Darren Elliot unconscious a few years ago), it is best to take
an extreme stance that will firmly discourage the actions.  That way, whether
it is a bunch of tennis balls or things more dangerous, fans are aware that the
penalty will be more than just a slap on the wrist or a 2-minute minor (I don't
believe that a fan who would boorish enough to throw things on the ice really
cares about a 2-minute minor since it doesn't affect him/her personally).

--