Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1993 11:29:12 EST
On removing all fans, Ross writes...

>that's a great idea, John, but to try and take credit away from
>you :) -- is there a precedent for it?  I've never heard of this
>happening, although someone once mentioned the bizzarre
>instance of an ECAC game being played at RPI as a neutral
>site because of worries about violence between teams or
>fans or whatever.

I'm not aware of it happening before.  I do recall an Edmonton-Boston
Stanley Cup Final game where everything shut down at the Gahden (notice
how that seems to only happen when the Bruins or Celtics are in
trouble :-), and the fans were cleared for safety and security reasons.
The teams stayed in the arena, and an attempt was made to play the game
with auxilary lighting and empty stands, but the game never resumed and
was eventually moved to Edmonton.  (Where the Oilers triumphed, of
course :-)

Removing all fans could instill a riot, however.  I know that I'd be
MLP (major league pissed) if I was removed because of something stupid
that a group of others did.  More and more I like the idea of attempting
to remove only those throwing tennis balls.  You won't get them all,
but you'll get alot of them.  Also, Wayne Smith suggested prosecuting
the organizers (if they can be identified), which is also a GREAT idea.

As for the forfeit, several people have pointed out the flaws in this
reasoning.  I told a friend at Michigan State that maybe I should
wear a State shirt to tomorrow's UM-MSU game in Detroit and throw a
tennis ball at Steve Shields after MSU's first goal.  Maybe MSU would
forfiet, plus I've always been tempted to hurl something at Shields.  :-)
(OK, definitely 1990-91 and 1991-92.  Shields is playing THIS BIG in
1992-93 though.  Keep it up Steve.)

  John H
  U Mich