From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 91 16:06:41 EST
C. Michael McCallum writes:
>Notes on the NCAA ruling(s):
>
>1) This pertains not so much to hockey, so I list it first, so
>   you may choose to ignore it.  The 'positive' ruling on limiting
>   practising to 20 hours a week (this means supervised workouts)
>   is widely bemoaned in sports like swimming/diving, gymnastics and
>   track and field.  Most of these athletes feel the need to practise
>   much more than this.

I should have mentioned that there were amendments passed to this rule which
helped address the concerns of athletes in individual-oriented sports like
the ones Michael listed.  The proposal was made more flexible to allow
individual athletes who want to train beyond the 20-hour-per-week limit to
do so on a "voluntary" basis and to allow the coaches to supervise the extra
workouts for safety reasons.  This does NOT apply to team sports like
hockey.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

David Brenner's definition of paranoia, slightly modified for hockey fans:

Picture yourself at Boston Garden for the ECAC Tournament championship game,
which is being played by bitter rivals Cornell and Harvard.  Thousands of
screaming maniacs have been cheering their respective teams on all night.
Harvard leads by one goal with less than a minute left in regulation.  Cornell
calls timeout, the players huddle around the bench, and you are sitting up in
the stands *convinced* that those guys on the ice are talking about YOU.