From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1992 02:18:53 EST
I didn't keep score but I'm sure someone will provide the box score
later....here's as much as I can remember...

Harvard downed RPI 4-3 Saturday night in a game that saw the Crimson
leading 4-0 almost half way through the 3rd period and then holding on
for the victory.

After a scoreless first period that saw Harvard carrying much of the
play only to be stymied by Neil Little, the Crimson got three goals in
the second.  The third was a backbreaker as it occurred at 19:59 after a
blown icing call (the linesman closest to the play waved off icing after
seeing the puck deflect off a skate just across the red line....the
referee on the other side of the ice called icing so the face-off was
held at center ice).  On the ensuing rush the RPI defense failed to
clear a couple of rebounds and the Crimson scored on a scramble in front
of the net.

Harvard upped its lead to 4-0 early in the third on a goal that appeared
to be accidently kicked in by RPI defenseman Brad Layzell (barely
crossing the goal line before being swatted out by Little).

RPI finally beat Crimson goaltender Aaron Israel on a goal by Wayne
Clarke, who let loose a quick shot through a screen from the top of the
face off circle.  The puck deflected off Israel's pads and slid across
goal line.  Bryan Richardson added a power play goal on a one-timer from
between the circles a few minutes later.  The Engineers added another
goal with about five minutes left on a scramble at the side of the net
(I didn't catch the announcement over the crowd so I'm not sure who got
the goal).  The Engineers had a few additional chances but Israel was up
to the task (none were particularly challenging).

Israel was outstanding in the Harvard nets stopping all 24 Engineer
shots through two periods and finishing with 31.  Little was just as
good (particularly in the first period) as he saved 33 of 37 shots.

This was an excellent game which neither team deserved to lose.  RPI
bounced back from a disappointing loss on Friday and a slow start
to play very well in the second half of the game.  Harvard showed
outstanding team speed and like Merrimack the week before, got very
strong goaltending from a freshman who will be counted on if they are to
advance very far.

BU-RPI last week....Harvard-RPI this week.....college hockey has to be
one of the best entertainment values on the market.  It's fantastic
(wait...that may be taken...).

Jon