From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 16:04:32 EDT
Where do you draw the line, as far as allowing a "few" pros or "not the big
stars"?  To me, once you allow one pro in, anything is fair game.  A few years
ago, many of us would have been extremely upset if one pro was allowed in;
now it's okay for a few.

Understand, I have no problem with folks holding this belief.  I'm just
trying to figure it out.  I might understand it better if someone said "all
amateurs" (and it should be that way around the globe - it has to be all one
or the other) although I still wouldn't agree.

Also, remember that a Team USA made up of NHL All-Stars (Americans) would
consist mainly of players who have already played college hockey and even
competed in the Games for the US before.  To me, they would still be Team USA,
because they would be the best this country has to offer.  And I would still
like to see Tony Amonte, Jeremy Roenick, etc. play in the Olympics.

If we are to maintain that the US should send only amateurs and a few minor
pros as its Olympic representative, then we should not place as much of an
emphasis on the outcome as we do.  Unless, of course, we are only trying to
cover ourselves; if we lose, well, we didn't have our best team anyway, and if
we win - we won against all odds.  What kind of an attitude is that?  At
least the Dream Team took somewhat of a risk, even if it is that much better
than everyone else, there is still that minute chance that an upset will
occur.  (Look at the US women's team, which lost in the semifinals today.)

Send your best team, and let the cards fall where they may.

- mike