From:
Tony Hejna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1992 12:25:14 EST
  Gutterson Field House is without question a great college hockey
building, and it was rockin' last night - at least until the game
was wrapped up by RPI in the 3rd (5-1 Final). One thing that was
very noticable to me was the execution of a focused game plan by RPI.
Buddy Powers played the Cats using a 1-2-2 forecheck - i.e. one man
chases the puck, the wingers pick up the UVM wingers and the D-men play
the center of the ice. The idea behind this is -- Deny the Vermont
forwards the puck.  The strength of UVM, esp. at the "Cat House" is
the freewheeling style of their forwards.  Vermont's strength is not on
defense.  The 1-2-2 forcheck made the UVM d-men handle the puck all
game, and the forwards were getting frustrated. Late in the second
period, Vermont looked like a team that was completely discombobulated.
What surprised me was that Vermont never adjusted to the 1-2-2. This
could have been done for instance by sending a forward back to pick up
the puck on the breakout and/or hanging a man near center ice to
create space in other areas of the ice.  The fluke goal that the
Cats put in their own net on a delayed penalty was the icing on
the cake for a frustrating night for UVM.  -- Also, Kudos to UVM
fans who gave the Cat's a standing ovation (loosing 5-1) with
seven seconds left.  The fans up there showed alot of appreciation
for the Vermont team, and I'll sure they will be back in force
next year at the Cat House.
   Congats to RPI for the win -- Good luck at Bright Hockey Center
vs. Harvard on Saturday.
                            Tony