From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1992 15:36:37 EST
From: Shawn Walsh, U Maine Coach

RE:   to Keith Instone on Computer Network

Keith, I like your idea of every conference scheduling each other but I
don't see it as being very practical in this time of budget crisis
across the country.  The problem is that many of the established
programs, especially out west, don't get real excited about playing some
of the newer Division I programs.  It is an unfortunate fact.  This
regional mentality served as the death of St. Louis University and I
just can't see teams going for your package even though I think it is a
tremendous idea and great for college hockey in the big picture.

Maybe the best idea we can propose would be to have HOCKEY EAST, ECAC,
CCHA and WCHA have a specific weekend when all four leagues are open and
have those leagues play a revolving schedule with one of the other three
leagues.  This would be similar to the ACC-Big East Basketball series
and I think it would be especially great for hockey.  One year you could
have the CCHA and WCHA match up with each #1 preseason team playing each
other, the #2 playing each other, etc., and do the same thing in the
east.  After a two year cycle, you could switch it so the HOCKEY EAST
could play WCHA and ECAC play CCHA, etc.  You could maybe play
doubleheaders in bigger buildings to help meet all the expenses and it
might be a fun way to get more non-league games out on the table.

I do like your idea, I just don't think it will come to pass.  Keep
being creative, maybe you will help us come up with a better proposal
because there certainly seems to be a need for better and more
non-league scheduling.  Having been involved in the original HOCKEY
EAST-WCHA interlocking agreement, I think now it was the best thing that
ever happened to the east in hockey and I thought it was a great overall
scenario for college hockey.