Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 18:28:00 EDT
>  (Incidentally, given the current rule, I
>find placing an (OT) after a tie score seriously redundant!)

Agreed.

>As far as the Olympics go, what other rules will we see which are
>different from those in the college ranks?

In the olympics, as in the NHL, you have to touch up for an icing.
Also, in the ECAC at least, there is no two-line offside, while there is
in both the olympics and the NHL.

>Also, are there Olympic or international specifications for rink
>sizes?  It seems the Olympic rink is considerably larger than those
>you see in North America.  BTW, I like its effect on the play.

  I believe it is indeed 200'x100' (not in meters), which is 15' wider than
the standard North American rink...in addition to the olympics, this is the
standard size throughout Europe.  With so much more room on the ice, a much
higher premium is placed on skating and less on hitting, resulting in a much
different style of play...this is the main reason why Europeans playing in the
NHL are noted for their skating and not too often for their hitting.

Carl Lindberg
clindberg@colgateu
LET'S GO 'GATE!