From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1992 12:17:16 EST
>BTW, did anyone else notice that at its January convention the NCAA authorized
>a Division II hockey championship???  Makes me wonder what will happen, since
>many Div. II schools moved up to Div. I when Div. II hockey was abolished
>several years ago (e.g., UAF, UAA, St. Cloud, Merrimack), and I'd assume they'd
>prefer to stay Div. I.

This is indeed the first I've heard of this.  If it is true, it seems odd
that Mankato would have decided to move up to DivI; since they couldn't
continue in DivIII as a DivII school playing a level lower, they had to
move up to I.

I agree that those DivII schools you mentioned will likely not reverse
their course and will stay DivI.  But rumor was that Ala-Huntsville would
drop back down, so they may choose to return to DivII.  And all the schools
that dropped down to III like RIT, Salem State, etc. can go back up to II and
leave DivIII to the teams it belongs to (ECAC N/S, for example).

If anyone has more information on this, please post it - thanks.

- mike