From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:56:16 -0500
(dual posted to message board on USCHO)

HockeyEast fans: Do we have the premier league in the nation? I think so! A
few weeks back we had clinched winning records against our nearest
competitor, the CCHA. We also had impressive road defeats over the WCHA to
clinch that series ... but we had barely a lead with plenty of games to play
against another comparable league, the ECAC. However, that's all been taken
care with a recent barrage of decisive victories.

So, how do things shape up in the league? Well, it looks to me like the
existing elite who are enjoying great national rankings are certainly
deserving. Maine looks like #1, the team to beat. The Black Bears are
extremely deep and combine a solid core of veterans with possibly the best
freshman class in HockeyEast. The schedule is tough however and the coaching
will have to keep this team consistent as possible. The league's strongest
offense is enough to give B.C. the #2 slot. One can only imagine where this
team would be if guys like Lephart and Mottau hadn't lost their scoring
touch but the rest of the scorers have really stepped it up. B.C. has the
easiest schedule amongst the league leaders and should make it count as the
season winds down, possibly capturing that evasive regular season title as
well as a repeat league tourney championship. The coaching will likely
duplicate last year's strong finish and help this team get an eastern
regional buy. The UNH Wildcats are a close #3 but a tougher schedule and
lack of depth will likely hurt this squad. UNH will definitely survive
though and would have finished higher if not for the strength of BC and
Maine. Their defense will make it tough on every opponent but the tough
schedule may takes its toll. Look for UNH to possibly go west in the
regionals giving HockeyEast a fantastic opportunity to send three teams to
Anaheim.

Will, there be a fourth team in post-season action? Well, the way the league
is so tight in the middle, its going to be tough for someone to survive the
league schedule with an adequate record for tourney consideration. Winning a
HockeyEast Tourney Championship would certainly do it, but who the hell
knows how that might happen? So, it looks like its down to Lowell (11-9),
Providence (10-9) and possibly Merrimack (9-10-1) or longshot BU (8-11-2).
Merrimack still has 7 games against the top three teams whereas BU has 4.
Neither team can afford to lose more than a few games so they have to be
near perfect down the road. Providence and Lowell have 5 games each against
the top-3 but both teams have a schedule heavy with home games. This
Sunday's game between the two will be a big indication of which team has the
best shot as they meet for the first of three games this season. Lowell has
yet to face UNH and will have to do better than last year's 1-2  record
(plus non league loss) against the Wildcats. Providence has three games left
with BC who beat the Friars 2-0-1 last season (and then twice in the
quarterfinals).

Will one of them make it? Not likely but you can't count them out yet!!! Its
a shame too, because no one is as deserving of four league entries in the
NCAA tourney than HockeyEast. (Well, maybe the CCHA is as deserving ... and
maybe the WCHA and ECAC too ... hell, its all too close! But, each league's
fans would love to see four teams make it as would I.)

- Paul.