From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:37:55 -0500
From: Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: U.S. College Hockey Online Polls

>> Maine has won 14 of 16 games not decided by tie for a .875 winning
>> percentage.
>>
>> Factor in a "half-win/half-loss" for each tie and it drops to .800. (I
>> believe that this the common practice which consequently punishes winning
>> teams for tying and benefits losing teams for ties)
>
>Why is that a punishment or benefit.  A tie is akin to a half win and half
>loss. You came out 50-50.  You didn't win, or lose, you came out in the
>middle. So, a team with 14 wins and 3 ties in 20 games, really has won 15
>1/2 games.

"Punishes" was the wrong word, maybe "negatively effects" is a better
phrase. I only meant to suggest that winning teams who have ties will see
their winning pctg. fall and losing teams who have ties will see it rise.
Which is in contrast to the winning percentage formula I was debating in the
first place (which would only "negatively effect" teams who have ties).