From:
Sid Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1992 13:10:59 EST
In regards to Mike M's posting (sorry, I don't know how to copy passages
directly) about the Jooris-Jopling incident back in '86-- I was there and
remember the game well. As for that play specifically, the penalty came at
a rather heated moment in the game. Jopling streaked for the RPI bench and
Jooris just dumped the puck back. A hush feel over the crowd as the puck
eased into the empty goal and the red light went on. I will never forget the
shock and dismay of that goal-- it just silenced the Field House to the point
where you could hear a pin drop. It was amazing that there were 5344 (Field
House capacity) pairs of eyes watching that puck and no one could do anything.
It was like time stood still. That ranks as the most-fluke goal I have ever
seen.
That reminded me of a goal scored on RPI that was almost as unusual but not
quite as embarrassing...It was 1979 or 1980, and I believe RPI was playing
either Cornell or Dartmouth at the Field House. RPI was a man down and it
was late in the 3rd period, and I believe the score was tied. RPI was trying
desperately to stay in the game. The puck went out to the point and the
defenseman wound up with a wicked slapshot...it flew way over the goal but hit
the high glass right in back of the net. RPI goaltender Gerry Fink lost sight
of the puck completely. It bounced off the glass, came right back out and
hit Fink square in the back. Then rolled off him and into the net. All the
while, Fink never even knew "what hit him" until it was too late.
The crowd was aghast. RPI wound up losing the game thanks to that goal.
Anyone else remember super-fluke goals?

--Sid