From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:28:05 -0600
Hey - finally some chatter on the list.  I like it!

After reading all the opinions expressed so far, I have to say I am not in
favor of a top 20 or 25 poll.  The convincing argument to me is the number
of eligible teams.  Going to roughly 40% of those eligible having a spot in
the polls seems excessive to me.

But, OTOH, a top 12 poll with "others receiving votes" does strike me as
sensible.  This is only a tiny change from a top 10 poll but takes into
account that 12 teams get a ticket to the big dance on ice.  And, for the
same reason, I like a top 15 poll since the next few teams beyond 12 may
very well get to the tourney.  Some of these might be good enough to play
their way in, and its quite possible for a team to be ranked by hockey-l
polls in the top 10 but miss the formula for getting in.

So, IMH(umble)O, I like Top 12, Top 10, and Top 15 in that order, but do not
care for Top 20 or 25.

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98