From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:25:59 -0400
With the rush of teams into D1 in the past few months, I've got to
wondering what is the optimal size of a conference?

Right now, the ECAC is the largest with 12 members the CCHA will get
there next season when UNO joins the fold.  The WCHA has 10, HE - 9, and
the MAAC will have 8.

Now sitting out there are some independents eyeing conference
affiliations, namely Huntsville, Niagara, and Bemidji State.  If UA-H and
Niagara join the CCHA, then the CCHA gets REAL big at 14 and if BSU joins
the WCHA that will give the WCHA an odd member which fouls up weekends.

So, what is optimal? 12, 14, 10, 8 or somwhere inbetween?

What I'm afraid of is regional realignment into conferences.  Heck, right
now, Michigan and Minnesota could each have their own hockey conferences
with the # of D1 schools in each state.  How about a New England Large
School Athletic Conference?

Thoughts during a World Cup semi.

Joe

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]