From:
"Dr. Tim Newman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dr. Tim Newman
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:43:39 -0500
UAH Leaving Division II; Chargers will not defend National Title

At a press conference yesterday, University officials confirmed
last week's worst kept secret in Huntsville sports - UAH had decided to
move their hockey program to Division I, effective with the upcoming
season.

UAH's President was quoted in the paper saying "It became evident
that we had to go Division I or drop down to Division III, and I
didn't think the Huntsville community wanted us to drop to Division
III."

The coach was quoted as saying "I'm thrilled about this.  It will
be a very, very big challenge.  We're going to have to work extremely
hard to give ourselves a chance to be successful.   We found a way
to win at Division I.  We'll find a way to win at Division I."

He was also reported to say "This will open up the door to a whole
new level of player and give us a  very, very good hockey team.  Some
players are going to want to come south to play hockey.  A lot of
teams will be looking to travel south.  I think we're going to be all
right."

The AD reported that UAH has a three-year plan to improve the program
and to seek alliance in a viable league.  UAH has spoken with
the five D-I conferences, but for now will enter a scheduling
alliance with Air Force, Bemidji State, Mankato State, Army,
Niagara, and Findlay (a D-II program at the moment).  The scheduling
agreement involves home-and-home series with these teams and
the possibility of an independent tournament at the end of the season
if the NCAA will sanction it.

Apparently, the UAH players petitioned the school to jump up to D-I.

UAH is currently funding 11 scholarships, two short of the
maximum allowed at the D-II level.  18 scholarships can be awarded at the
D-I level (split among up to 30 players).

Boosters will be asked to raise funds to allow UAH to increase its
number of scholarships; the University will not add its own funds
to allow UAH to increase its scholarships.  Increased travel funds
are also to be raised privately.

UAH will go to D-I this fall, and start the season at Army on Oct. 23-24.

Tim Newman

posting based on Huntsville Times articles by Reggie Benson and
Alabama Live article by Michael Napier and on other sources.