From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 90 15:20:39 EST
Bill writes ...
>Before I forget -- I've been asked by some people who sat near me at last
>weekend's games to post a question to the list.  We were talking about
>hockey fundraisers (bake sales, shoot-the-puck-through-the-tiny-hole, and so
>forth), and somebody came up with the idea of Zamboni rides.  So what do
>people think?  Would you buy a raffle ticket for a Zamboni ride?  Or has
>this been done, and if so, how successful was it?  Just curious.  Me, I'd be
>interested in DRIVING the thing, but I imagine you need a Zamboni license or
>some such...

   It's amazing to me that the shoot-the-puck-through-a-hole things keep
   going (Maine has one for an Old Town Canoe and one for a Dodge car
   with a put-it-into-the-net-from-the-blue-line for a dinner at a local
   restaurant), what with insurance problems and such.  Someone out on
   the ice is very dangerous (a couple of (non-coaching) staff have been
   hurt at Maine in recent years).

   Since the Zamboni doesn't even have an extra seat, this would be
   especially troublesome!  I've seen what an inexperienced Zamboni
   driver can do to a perfectly good sheet of ice, so I suspect that
   DRIVING is out of the question too :-)