From:
Sid Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1992 16:01:23 EST
Thanks to everyone for clearing that up. I had wondered about it because
Union was in the Invitational and it would seem only fair to schedule the
second meeting of these two teams at Achilles...anyway..on to my prediction.
RPI has traditionally been hexed when at Achilles Rink. In January of '85
(the year they won the National Championship) Union led the whole game until
there were 19 seconds left, then RPI went on to win in OT when John Carter
scored, making the final 3-2. Since then, to the best of my recollection,
Union has always played RPI tough in Schenectady. I don't think this match
will be any excecption. Union is frequently underestimated (e.g. Yale),
and they are riding high coming off the heels of their win over Dartmouth.
In the game against the Engineers in the tournament, Union led by a score
of 3-1 until about midway into the 2nd period when RPI finally got their
act together. (RPI won, 6-4.)
I'm very skeptical of Union at this point. I think they're going to be
gunning for RPI, and I would not expect them to make the same kinds of
errors that they did in the Invitational. I would bet that Union is capable
of skating with most Div. 1 teams, and they certainly have the potential to
beat RPI. I would say that RPI's goaltending and defense have a slight
advantage...but unless the Engineers really play their best, this will be
close and I would not be surprised to see Union pull it off.
All I can say for RPI is that they better play as they did against Clarkson
or Cornell; otherwise,  expect Union to come out flying and steal the show.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say RPI 5, Union 3. (that's what I'd like)
Realistically...Union 4, RPI 3. You decide. :)