From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 01:23:14 -0500
A couple of questions have been asked recently, I have a few answers.

1) Is Jeff Oates related to Adam Oates.

        No!  But it seems he may have been possesed with his spirit this
weekend.  Goal scoring hadn't been a Jeff Oates hallmark, and to see 40% of
Cornell's goals scored by him this weekend in two multi goal games was,
well, surprising to say the least.

2) Should TUCs include tourney champs?

        Remember that these same criteria are used to determine seeding
amongst the tournament teams.  Therefore, I think you need to include the
teams that made the tourney in 'record against tourney-calibre teams'.

3)  Was it a goal? (Sat. Version)

        I don't know.  I was sitting in seats so far away from the ice it's
a wonder I noticed there was a game at all.  Not to mention the big Post in
my way.  Damn RPI ticket office REQUIRES the opposing band to sit in
obstructed view seats (as noted on our tickets).

4)  How many 3-point series started with 2 ties before this year's Yale-SLU
series?

        According to people I spoke with at the game, the answer is NONE.
Yale-SLU was the first time since the ECAC went to 3-point series (I don't
what date that is) that a series started with two ties.

5)  Was it a goal? (Sun. Version)

        See #3.  I did see Noeth definitively wave it off.  Why it then
counted later, I don't know.  Someone said they saw an Assistant Referee
offer his vehement opinion to Noeth, changing the call.  Hey, maybe they do
have power after all.

6)  What happenned after the game to incite a near brawl?

        Well, an RPI player began skating towards Jason Elliott after the
final whistle.  Not at top speed, but with a determination that said this
wasn't going to be a "Nice game Jason" type visit.  The Cornell players on
the ice escorted him to the corner for a quick 'lecture' on post game
etiquette.  Another RPI player then charged that group of players at full
speed.  The 10 miniute misconducts were clearly jokes.  Unless that sort of
penalty is required for the league to review the activity.  Maybe Noeth
gave those out for that, though I'd think DQs might be necessary for league
action.  Very poor.  Earlier in the third Jason Daily and Brad Tapper had a
full out fight, though only Tapper emerged without gloves.  The result -
Double minors each for roughing.  I laughed.  I would like to think the
college game would crack down on that behavior somewhat more severely.
There is no excuse for fighting at this level.  Or at any level, but that's
a different debate.

7)  What do I think of the Final Five?

        It sucks.  And if you're listening Mr. Fanter, you best get rid of
it soon.  Only invite 8 teams for all I care.  But get rid of that stupid
play in game.  Do something about it.  WCHA experience tells us it doesn't
work as far as adding a legitimate fifth team to the mix.  In fact, it
tells us that we now have a 3 team tournament, since no team has ever
emerged from the thursday game to win the tournament.

Larry Weintraub '98,
Cornell University
Let's Go BIG RED!!!!!

Quote of the Semester:
        "They wear their hearts on their sleeves here at Cornell...and also
their faces."

        -- TV Announcers at the Cornell-Colgate game,
           while the camera was in a close-up on my painted face.