From:
"Eric J. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric J. Burton
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:17:58 -0600
                         THE SIN-BIN
                     By Eric J. Burton
                 The "Fabulous Sports Goon"

Check out the Sin-Bin At Brian Helland's
Http://members.tripod.com/~unvarnished_truth/sinbin/sinbin.html

        Who is The Best of the Best?

Lately on the Web Page for US College Hockey On Line there has been the
debates about who is the best college hockey player for their postion.Some
of the silly debates that have taken place go like this, my forward is
better than your forward, my band is better than your band (ECAC TEAMS),
my team's player is better than your player. IN fact it is rather
childish and juvenile. One of the latest debates center around UND's Karl
Goehring is NCAA division one hockey's version of Rodney Dangerfield.
Although he gets more respect, Goehring is still being written off as being
a fluke or just lucky by some fans. Folks What makes Karl so amazing is
that we are talking about a freshman goalie not a four year player.
Here is how Goehring stacks up against the NCAA's top senior goalies, and
some of his WCHA rivals.

                          GP   W-L-T   GA  SV   SV%    MIN     GAA

1.  Chad Albin, Sr.,  MSU 25  18-3-4   39  469 .923  1501.98  1.56
2.  Karl Goehring,Fr.,UND 17  15-1-1   26  393 .938   935.33  1.67
6.  Marty Turco, SR, UM   28  20-6-1   61  584 .905  1625.73  2.25
8.Graham Mellanson,FR,UW  11   8-2-0   25  315 .926   631.55  2.36
N/R Brian Leitza,SR, SCSU 24  16-6-2   62  641 .912  1417.60  2.77
N/R Steve Debus, SR, UofM 23  9-14-0   65  532 .891  1264.20  3.08

Although the critics will say that Karl has played 8 less games than Albin,
Goehring does have a better winning percentage. If you look at their
winning percentages you will see that Albin has a 72% winning percentage
and Goehring has a 88% winning percentage. See it really is fun but it
still does not decide who is better does it. Championships are decided on
the ice in hockey Arena, not in the polls just ask Michigan.

        The Goon's Ice Chips

*Thanks to the Gophers Sweep of Wisconsin in the Twin Cities the Sioux are
back in first place again. This weekends series should be a dandy. The
Gophers are 4-2 in their last 6 games. Look for a few dead rodents laying
on the ice.

*Hockey should not be played in the afternoon. Maybe Wanless should
consider having the basketball team play at 2:00 pm instead. Hockey in
the afternoon disrupts the whole day. Maybe it is a conspiracy by the
heavy handed UND administration.

*The Star and Tribune has reported that the Wooger will no longer release
his teams injury reports, due to the alleged Casey Hankinson incident that
took place during the MTU weekend. Hum, this is cold war era stuff. Maybe
we can send in some spies to the locker room of the gophers and get our
own report.

*Mark Cullen is rumored to be heading to C.C., he is a great player and
should help the struggling Tigers on offense.

        Predictions for this weeks games...

*Disclaimer these perdictions are for fun and should not be held against
the Author (Refering to the razing from Gopher Fans on last weeks
perdictions).

*University of Minnesota @ North Dakota, this should prove to be a fun
season reguardless of the Gophers record. The Golden Gophers roll into town
with a 4-2 record their last 6 games. I have decided not to pick the out
come of this series and instead I will let the dice lay where they roll.

*AA @ UMD, this series loams big for the Dogs, Tesky won't be enough for
the Sea Wolves as UMD will roll big and sweep.

*Denver @ Wisconsin, which "Badgers Team" will show up? This could be an
exciting series I predict a split... Denver is suddenly playing better
hockey. The top teams should not over look Denver going into the playoff
as they could throw a wrench into someone's playoff hopes...

*MTU @ SCSU, this will probably be a rough series, players on both sides
will want to keep their gloves on, but in the end SCSU Huskies will be
too much for the MTU Huskies and SCSU will win both games.