From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:06:21 -0500
John Hauessler writes:
> Mike Machnik writes...
> >Nevertheless, it isn't true that after the games and after
> >BU had lost to MSU, Parker tried to have the status changed.
>
> I don't recall anyone claiming or even implying this.

It was indeed claimed by some folks around that time.

> >He has always maintained that the original agreement was
> >to not count the games for NCAA selection...
>
> This is the sentiment that many, myself included, consider
> a complete crock.

Understood. :-)  However I have yet to come across anything stating
beforehand that the games would count.  As I have said, I assumed they
would too, but I can see how some might have thought they would not.

> >After the tourney, USCHO contacted the NCAA and was
> >told that the games would not count in NCAA selection or
> >in the NCAA's overall stats.
>
> Apparently this news only reached USCHO.  If you have a
> release from the NCAA stating this, I'm sure that several
> folks would be interested in seeing it.

There is no release that I am aware of.  But as I said, there was a
response from an NCAA staff member involved with ice hockey in which the
decision as I mentioned it was stated.  I don't feel at liberty to provide
anyone with a copy of that response.

Note, however, that the official NCAA stats that have been released do not
include the Ice Breaker games, lending credence to the information we
received.

HE commissioner Joe Bertagna said on Thursday at the press conference in
Lowell that there had *not* been a decision yet.  So there may be
conflicting information going around.  But I seem to recall Joe also
indicated that expectations were that the games would not count, and he
added that they would count next year.

USCHO is acting as if the games do not count because enough evidence seems
to indicate that.  If things change, USCHO will change the status of the
games.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****         Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM          *****