From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:30:32 -0500
On Jan 10,  6:56, Debbie Somers wrote:
>>With 8:18 to go in the third and Maine ahead 6-4, an altercation after the
>>play resulted in majors and game disqualifications to Maine's Wansborough
>>(spearing) and Brian White (leaving the bench) as well as Merrimack's Mike
>>Rodrigues (fighting).  All three players will miss their team's next game.
>
>I find it interesting that White only got one game DQ.  In a recent NCHA
>game, a player who left the bench and participated in a fight got two game
>DQ's.  Since Mike didn't include penalties in his boxscore over on INFO-H-L,
>I don't know if the single DQ for leaving the bench was the only penalty he
>got or not, but it's interesting to see the difference in officiating.

If both White and the NCHA player got the same penalty (i.e. the NCHA player's
second DQ wasn't for spearing or something), I can think of two possible
explanations:

1.  The NCHA player had a previous DQ this season.  Under NCAA rules,
subsequent DQ's incur a harsher penalty.  The first DQ of the season puts the
player out for one game, the second puts him/her out for two, etc.

2.  The NCHA may have reviewed the incident and tacked on the second game
themselves.

There are probably other explanations which I'm missing, but I don't think it's
the case that officials had the same situation in the two different games and
in one case handed out a higher number of DQ's to a single player.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"A friend of mine became a billionaire by inventing Cliff Notes.  When I
 asked him where he got such a great idea, he said, 'Well, to make a long
 story short...'"
-- Steven Wright